Friday, December 23, 2005

deep thoughts by Jack Handy

I have a very hard time expressing myself in writing. I think about what I want to convey in my head, but getting it out in the written word always fails me. I sucked at English in school and it still shows today.

When I went to college I wanted to be an artist. My dad was totally against it, stating "You can eat art." It was for some time a major struggle between my father and I. Until I found a school that had their radio, TV and film under the art department. So, I went there to study radio, TV and film while I would secretly take more and more art classes. And I did, however; I found myself signing up for more math courses. Every semester I found had no less than two math courses at a time. Why would I start taking on more and more math? It came easy to me, it raised my GPA, and I found one professor who was inspiring. So, inspiring was he that I got a minor in statistics because of him and was attempting to get a major and then a doctorate (why I didn't is for another story). This professor was the most unorganized person I had ever met, but he loved math and from his love of math I was lifted. His love flowed from him like the love of a child. It was unconditional.

After two years of study, the radio, TV and film section was moved from the art department and placed under the communications department probably where it should have been from the start. I gradated with a bachelor of science degree under communication with a minor in statistics and had the equivalent of a minor in art, a minor in psychology and a minor in business, notice nothing related to English. And with all that stated, my father was correct, as always. I found art to be highly competitive (which I am not) and also very costly (being a starving college student was enough for me let alone a starving artist). And all the time my dad was saying get a math major. I should have. Love you, Dad!



the words I had to look up under Webester's website to spell correctly because I was so far off that spell check couldn't even find them are: secretly, unorganized, equivalent. Mom, I'm still the world's worse speller next to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

hey - but it made for a good story!!

January 3, 2006 at 3:10:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home